Monday, January 26, 2009

Ziggy's Supper Stardust Portable...





From the first clips of this game I was ready to get my hands on it and play. So after downloading SSP it was time to immerse myself in the sound and visuals of this masterpiece. The way you are going to attack this game takes a bit of time to figure out. But, once you do you might as well say goodbye to hours of your life. I believe it was 1UpYours' John Davidson that said this game was like crack. I miss the feel of arcade games. There is just an X-factor in them that brings out this nostalgic feel. The game play balance that makes it just hard enough that it makes you want to throw something, but forgiving enough that you can't help but come back for more. Housemarque could have just tried to do a straight port of this game. Instead they took the time and care to take the nature of the handheld into the equation. The controls are easy to pick up. The rounds can be quick bite size chunks, perfect for pick up and play. The graphics and music are audio visual ecstasy.



Now, I'm not all sunshine and rainbows about this game. The one big nag I have against SSP is the shooting mechanic. My hand quickly cramped up when using the Gold Melter. Maybe I just need to get more aquainted with the other weapons? The Ice Crusher is fast becoming one of my favorite weapons with trial and error.


This might be the best game created for PSP to date. The only other game that might be on this level is God of War. and the replay ability is through the roof. Sony is finally understanding how important online player rankings are. If they want to bring the arcade feel to people this is KEY. Beating your best friends high score is the best excuse for replay. And short of slapping down your quarter on a machine to play next, nothing is more at the heart of being in an arcade. With the online leader board for this game the arcade is finally in your pocket.

No comments: